Friday, April 11, 2008

A Fond Farewell


Ode to the Paci

Oh, my sweet paci,
you've been my best friend.
I thought we'd be together
until the bitter end!
I had dreamt of high school
with you by my side,
College, a wedding,
I'd bring you with pride!
But yesterday, my mean mommy
she took you away.
Now I sit here with Blankie,
So sad, and I pray,
That somehow I'll make it
through the next few days and years.
For who will comfort my sorrows
and dry all my tears?
Then I hold my Blankie close
and say "Never, no Never,
will I let anyone take away
My Dear Blankie forever!!"

Yep, the paci disappeared yesterday for good! The pediatrician had told me it should be gone by the time he turned 2, for the sake of his teeth. I've been ready to get rid of it for a while now, but I just didn't have the stamina while I was dealing with Sam and all his issues. But, now that Sam is doing better I have more time to focus on Alex, and am ready to help him tackle some big boy things! I didn't see any good way to slowly wean him off it, so we just went cold turkey at nap time. I put him in the crib with his blankie. He "talked" to himself for about 30 min. and then fussed for about 10min. and then he was out!! Success!! Bedtime was not quite so smooth...he cried for about 30min. I went in and rocked him for about 3min. and told him it was just him and Blankie now and it was time to sleep, and about 10 min. of fussing later he was out! Not bad. Then at 6:45am he woke up, and with no paci to lull him back to sleep he was up for the day--how exciting!! Naptime today was better, no fussing at all. I think the tricky part of this transition for him is going to be putting himself back to sleep without the paci when he wakes up early. But Alex has always been one to take changes in stride, so I am praying this one will continue to go smoothly as well! So good-bye paci!



Sammy still gets to keep his paci for a while! Whew, I think he was scared there for a second!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

What a poet! Good job, Mommy! Alex, you'll make it! We're proud of you.